Water is an essential nutrient for the human body and the most important. It comprises approximately 55% of the total body mass for women.

Our body can regulate and distribute water once it is in the body but it can’t store it so consuming enough water daily is essential to maintain basic bodily functions. Water contains electrolytes which are needed for:

  • Removing waste from the body
  • Pain reduction
  • Body temperature
  • Lubricating joints
  • Promoting healing
  • Transporting nutrients into cells which then promote proper function of our tissues and organs in the body and more!

Electrolytes are minerals that can conduct electricity when dissolved in water, a bit like a battery that requires battery acid to function.

We NEED to ingest 92% of water from the foods/drinks we consume. The body can produce the other 8% itself.

Dehydration is THE MOST COMMON DEFICIENCY globally and sooooo many health concerns WILL improve with consistent proper hydration.==

There are so many signs of dehydration:

EARLY WARNING SIGNS

  • fatigue
  • anxiety
  • irritability
  • depression
  • cravings
  • cramps and
  • headaches!

MATURE WARNING SIGNS

  • Heartburn
  • Joint pain
  • Back pain
  • Migraines
  • Fibromyalgia
  • Constipation – a big issue for many!!
  • Colitis

So, there is a formula to determine the MINIMUM number of litres we should be consuming on a daily basis. It relates to our body weight:

Body weight (kg’s) divided by 30.

This means if a person weighs 80kg,
80 divided by 30 = 2.7

A person weighing 80kg NEEDS to drink a minimum of 2.7L water daily on a consistent basis.

There are drinks (diuretic beverages) that will prevent the cells from absorbing water/electrolytes and will contribute to dehydration and result in the health concerns mentioned above. These drinks include:

  • coffee
  • caffeinated teas
  • alcoholic beverages
  • drinks with any form of sugar in them (fruit juice, flavoured water etc)

For every 1 cup (250ml) of a diuretic beverage, an extra 1.5 – 2 cups (375-500ml) of water MUST BE CONSUMED to prevent dehydration and its warning signs.

We need to make sure we are getting enough electrolytes (electrically charged minerals), so a small pinch of unrefined salt can be added to each glass of water to support the cells of the body absorbing the water to promote good cellular hydration and prevent those health concerns.

Tips on how to ensure you drink enough water!

  • Try flavouring your water with fruits and/or herbs. Some great combinations are Watermelon/Mint; Lemon/Lime; Strawberry/Sage; Lemon/Raspberry/Rosemary; Lemon/Thyme. The combinations are endless!
  • I often add drops of essential oils to my water. It works in two ways, firstly by giving the water flavour and secondly each essential oil suits a purpose for the body. I only use brands such as Young Living or DoTerra.
  • Broth, Kombucha and Kefir all count towards your fluid intake!
  • The size of the water bottle can make a difference too. 
  • You can use multiples of the same size bottle e.g. 750ml and work your way through them during the day and don’t need to refill. Make sure they’re empty by the end of the day. Start drinking one in the morning when you’re at home and take that and another 2 with you to work. Leave the 4th one at home for evening consumption.
  • Use the same size and refill as needed. E.g. 500ml or 750ml bottles
  • Use large bottles e.g. 1.5L or 2L with time/volume markers on the side to help keep you on track.
  • Use a Hydration tracker app or device.
  • Break your water consumption up into periods during the day e.g. Use a 750ml bottle and aim to drink one between 7am and 11am, another one from 11am to 3pm, another 3pm to 7pm and the last one from 7pm to bedtime.
  • Set timers/alarms on your phone to remind you to drink.